Lani

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Susanna Clarke
Joyland
Stephen King

Dead to the Max (Max Starr, #1)

Dead to the Max (Max Starr, #1) - Jasmine Haynes What I liked about this book enough to read the entire story was the fact that it's not an average Paranormal Romance. It was a new twist on a strong female character who happens to be "special". She doesn't change in a full moon or grow fangs at the scent of blood. She is a regular flesh and blood woman who has an accounting job and I could relate to her in a lot of ways. The writing itself kept me drawn in and I got that unfamiliar "Don't talk to me right now, I have to finish this chapter!" feeling. I love that feeling; my husband on the other hand is not so thrilled with me on those rare occasions.

So why did I only give it 3 stars?

The ending was incomplete. I don't mean it ended in a cliffhanger. I mean it ended with no further explanations. There are 15 important characters and at some point most were possibly the killer. When the true killer is revealed, I was left questioning all the motives and actions of the other characters. If they didn't do it, then why did they lie about alibi's and speak to Max with such malice for no reason? The story just ended.

Another thing that bothered me is the fact that Max's libido was in overdrive the entire book. The story had a time span of about a week. Yet there was still time for her to have sex with her ghost husband nightly, sleep with a prime suspect and find almost every guy she met attractive and would fantasize about them constantly. You would think that she would be too busy tracking down a murderer and trying not to get killed herself. I like a good erotic book, but it just didn't seem to fit this story.